Weed Management Resources
Nursery and Landscape Weed Management
Developing a weed management plan requires access to information about the available weed control tools and how best to use them. Below are several references which will aid you in developing effective weed management plans for nursery crops and landscape plantings.
- Cost Effective Weed Management in Container Nurseries – Our most up to date information on strategies to reduce weed control costs in container nurseries.
- The 2017 Southeastern Pest Control Guide for Nursery Crops and Landscape Plantings is available on-line or in print. Order your copy from UNC Press. Although this publication is a few years old, it is full of useful information tailored to the green industries.
- IPM for Tree Production – In this guide, produced by the Southern Nursery IPM Working Group, you will find chapters on IPM principles and practices for a variety of tree species grown in the Southeast. Chapter 13 focuses on weed management in tree production.
- IPM for Shrub Production – Part 1 – A two-part series on IPM practices for common shrubs in southeastern nursery crop production. Chapter 6 describes principles of weed management for these crops.
- IPM for Shrub production – Part 2 – The second volume includes information on IPM for production of additional species and includes an updated chapter on weed management in shrub production as well as specific content on weed management in hydrangea production.
- Landscape Weed Management Training Webinar and accompanying slides.
Nursery and Landscape Factsheets
- Treating large containers with herbicides
- Weed management in Landscapes (WeedFacts #5)
- Postemergence control of weedy grasses
- Controlling sedges in landscape plantings
- Herbicide dose calculations for landscape “islands”
- Weed control in perennials
- Weed management in annual color beds
- Japanese stiltgrass idenfication and management
- Weed control in greenhouses and similar structures
- Postemergence, non-selective herbicides for landscapes and nurseries
- Bamboo control
- Weed management in propagation and liner production (AG 827)
- Herbicide Information Factsheets
- Dr. Joe Neal authored publications
Fruit and Vegetable Resources
- Weed Society of America (WSSA)
- Southern Weed Science Society (SWSS)
- NC State Department of Horticultural Science
- NC State Department of Crop Science
- North Carolina Blueberry Council, Inc.
- North Carolina Vegetable Grower’s Association
- Virginia Tech Weed ID Guide
- SLN for Select Max w/o surfactant
- IR-4 Project website
- NC State IR-4 Center
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- Maximum Residue Level Database (USDA Foreign Agriculture Service Website)
- Special Local Needs (24c) Registrations in North Carolina
- Worker Protection Standards for Agricultural Pesticides
- Worker Protection Standards for Vegetables Herbicides
- Worker Protection Standards for Small Fruits Herbicides
- Worker Protection Standards for Tree Fruits Herbicides